Top 10 Best Historical Bollywood Movies
Bollywood was fascinated by revisiting history and rewriting it. Over the years, we’ve seen a number of historic period films come out in droves.
With this article, we are sharing the list of 10 historic Bollywood movies that look back on the past and honor the history of India.
1. Bajirao Mastani: Produced by the Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the film tells the story of Maratha Peshwa Bajirao and his second wife Mastani. It comprises Ranveer Singh like Bajirao while Priyanka Chopra and Deepika padukone play Kashibai and Mastani respectively. It is based on the Marathi novel ‘Raau’ by Nagnath S. Inamdar.
Upon release, the film received critical acclaim for its production design, directing, and lead actor performance. It also became a huge commercial success and won seven national film awards, including Best Director and Best Supporting Actress for Azmi. The film also received fourteen 61st Filmfare Awards nominations and won nine awards.
2. Mohenjo Daro: Written and produced by the Ashutosh Gowariker, this 2016 film is based on the ancient city of Indus Valley civilization called Mohenjo-Daro, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was located in Sindh, Pakistan. Starring Hrithik Roshan and Pooja Hegde, the film met with mostly negative reviews from critics and turned out to be a box office flop.
3. Raag Desh: Directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia and Gurdeep Singh Sappal of Rajya Sabha TV, the film stars Kunal Kapoor, Amit Sadh, Mohit Marwah, Vijay Verma, Mrudula Murali, Kenny Basumatary, Hikaru Ito and Jatin Singh Kindra. It is based on the Indian National Army trials, the joint court martial of Indian National Army officers, Colonel Prem Sahgal, Colonel Gurbaksh Singh Dhillon and Major Shah Nawaz Khan. The film was a critical and commercial failure.
Emperor Jala-ud-din-Muhammad Akbar (played by Hrithik Roshan) and Princess Rajput Jodhaa Bai (played by Aishwarya Rai Bachchan). The film was praised for its historical accuracy and production design. It became critically and commercially successful, winning accolades at several film festivals.
7. The Legend of Bhagat Singh: Based on one of this country’s most popular freedom fighters, Bhagat Singh, this 2002 film is directed by Rajkumar Santoshi. It has Ajay Devgn playing the eponymous character, along with Sushant Singh and Akhilendra Mishra. The film met with positive critical reception and won several awards, but underperformed at the box office.
9. Padmaavat – Another on this list to be directed by Sanjay Bhansali, the film has been surrounded by controversy and has faced numerous protests from people trying to ban it. Based on the poem Padmaavati by Malik Mohammed Jayasi, the film stars Deepika Padukone in the title role, with Shahid Kapoor as King Ratan Singh and Ranveer Singh as the Afghan ruler, Sultan Alauddin Khilji. Its release was postponed amid violent protests and was released in January 2018. The film met with mixed reviews, but was a box office success.
10. Panipat – The most recent film on the list (also directed by Gowariker), it describes the events that took place during the Third Battle of Panipat in 1761. With Arjun Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt and Kriti Sanon in the lead roles , the film met with mostly mixed reviews and turned out to be a box office failure.
Upcoming period Bollywood films include “Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior” directed by Om Raut and starring Ajay Devgn, Saif Ali Khan and Kajol in the lead roles. Its release is scheduled for January 10.