5 Doggone Great Disney Features to Celebrate National Dog Day!
Disney has always been a pro at tugging at our heartstrings. It’s no surprise that out of all the many subjects for animated feature films, Disney chose man’s best friend as the main character. Now, that list could get much, MUCH longer if we picked out every animated movie that mentioned or featured a sidekick to our favorite furry friend. Some honorable mentions are Nana from Peter Pan, Bruno from Cinderella, Percy from Pocahontas, and more! So kick back with your best furry friend tonight and watch one of these great Disney classics!
- Lady and the Tramp (1955)
- He’s a tramp, but we love him. Lady and the Tramp was the first dog-focused Disney movie to hit screens, and fans loved it. With a budget of 4 million, the film would gross 93.6 million domestically. That would solidify, yes, in fact, Americans love dogs! If it’s been a while since you’ve seen the movie, Lady and Tramp aren’t the only dogs in this movie – dogs of all shapes and sizes are featured. Lady: a cocker spaniel, Trusty: a bloodhound, Jock: a Scottish terrier and Peg: a crossbreed – but we love them anyway!
- The Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
- Maybe close your pup’s eyes for this one! One Hundred and One Dalmatians is the classic story of Cruella DeVille searching for a Dalmatian fur coat and determined to get one. Luckily, the puppies in this movie are resourceful and use their canine network to get out of harm’s way. Dalmatians aren’t the only dog featured in this film. They are helped by black Labradors, as well as a Bloodhound and a Sheepdog!
- The Fox and the Dog (1981)
- We love a loyal gun dog and The Fox and the Hound has one of the best. Copper is a hunting dog (half bloodhound according to the novel), who befriends a curious and amusing little fox. Bound by his duty and the love of his owner – we see Copper wrestling between his head and his heart in this harrowing film. There’s a reason so many people love it, and if you’ve never seen this movie before, be prepared by having a box of tissues handy. Maybe call your best friend afterwards.
- Olivier & Company (1988)
- When an orphaned kitten befriends a street pup named Dodger, an unlikely friendship develops between the two. It’s not long before Dodger introduces Oliver to his gang of friends – a Chihuahua named Tito, a Great Dane named Einstein, a Saluki named Rita, and a Bulldog named Francis. Although they need some time to get to grips with this newcomer, the group comes together to protect and help their new friend – and we love the story of everyone coming together!
- Bolt (2008)
- A White Swiss Shepherd named Bolt is a star of a hit TV series where he believes he has all the powers he has on the show. He’s hit with a reality check when Bolt is pulled from his old reality and has to come to terms with the fact that it’s not like the TV show he’s been separated from all this time. If you love a movie about a man’s best friend – while understanding that the real you is what matters, this movie is perfect for you.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will contact you!