10 book-to-movie adaptations to watch in 2020
From “Harry Potter” to “The Hunger Games”, much of our beloved literature has already been adapted into blockbuster movies by the studio giants in Hollywood. However, this does not mean that there is nothing more to adapt, quite the contrary in fact.
There are still millions of books that tell millions of stories ready for the big screen. So without further ado, here’s a list of some of the best movie adaptation books hitting theaters in 2020:
1. “Artemis Poultry”
- Release Date: May 28, 2020
- To throw: Ferdia Shaw, Judi Dench, Nonso Anozie, Lara McDonnell
Based on the novel of the same name, Artemis Fowl is a 12-year-old genius and descended from a long line of criminal brains. He soon finds himself in an epic battle against a race of mighty subterranean fairies who could be the cause of his father’s disappearance.
2. “The witches”
- Release Date: October 22, 2020
- Actors: Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci, Chris Rock
A little boy stumbles upon a witches conference while staying with his grandmother in a hotel and is transformed into a mouse by the Great Great Witch.
3. “Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway”
- Release Date: April 2, 2020
- Actors: James Corden, Daisy Ridley, David Oyelowo, Domhnall Gleeson
The sequel to the Peter Rabbit children’s adaptation of Beatrix Potter. The story goes that while Thomas McGregor and Bea are on their honeymoon, Peter Rabbit runs away from home. On the road, he befriends a rabbit who is an old friend of Peter’s father.
- Release Date: December 17, 2020
- Actors: TimothÃ©e Chalamet, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson,
Based on Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel of the same name, the story takes place far into the future. Duke Leto Atreides has accepted management of the dangerous desert planet Arrakis, also known as Dune. It is the only source of a drug called “the spice”, the most valuable substance in the universe because it provides accelerated levels of thought and prolongs human life. Although he knows this is a complicated trap set by his enemies, the Harkonnens, Leto still brings along his young son and heir Paul, his concubine Bene Gesserit, Lady Jessica, and his most trusted advisers in the world. planet. He takes control of the spice mining, although it is dangerous due to the giant sand worms in the region. When the Atreides family is betrayed, his son Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control over the planet.
- Release Date: January 23, 2020
- Actors: Robert Downey, Jr., Tom Holland, Selena Gomez, Emma Thompson
The film follows the adventures of Doctor Dolittle, a character created by author Hugh Lofting. The doctor lives in solitude with only a variety of exotic animals for company with whom he speaks on a daily basis. But when young Queen Victoria falls seriously ill, the eccentric doctor and his furry friends embark on an epic adventure on a mythical island to find the cure.
6. “Call of the Wild”
- Release Date: February 20, 2020
- Actors: Harrison Ford, Karen Gillan, Dan Stevens, Omar Sy, Bradley Whitford
An animated CGI adventure film based on the 1903 novel of the same name by Jack London. It follows a sled dog’s struggle for survival in the Alaskan wilderness. The dog is a domesticated St. Bernard / Scotch Collie named Buck, who is sold to freight carriers in the Yukon after being stolen from his home in Santa Clara, California.
7. “The invisible man”
- Release Date: March 5, 2020
- Actors: Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Storm Reid, Aldis Hodge
A loose modern adaptation of the novel of the same name by HG Wells and a remake of the 1933 film adaptation of the same name. “The Invisible Man” follows Cecilia Kass played by Elisabeth Moss where she wants to start her life over after escaping of her boyfriend, who is a rich and brilliant but violent and controlling scientist. She will later learn that her boyfriend has passed away and left her with much of the wealth, but she soon suspected that the death was a hoax as she felt an invisible present harassing her.
8. “The woman at the window”
- Release Date: May 14, 2020
- Actors: Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman, Anthony Mackie, Tracy Letts
Agoraphobic child psychologist Dr Anna Fox (fearful of a situation that causes panic, trapped, helpless and embarrassed) saw something she shouldn’t see while spying on the Russell family, the seemingly perfect clan that lives on the other side.
- Release Date: October 22, 2020
- Actors: Tom Hanks, Elisabeth Shue, Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan
A war drama based on “The Good Shepherd” by CS Forester. The film is set at the start of World War II. In his first command of a US Navy destroyer, the Greyhound, Captain Ernest Krause leads 37 Allied ships across the dangerous North Atlantic while being pursued by German Nazi submarines. Along the way, he fights his doubts and personal demons to prove his usefulness as a commander.
10. “Without remorse”
- Release Date: September 17, 2020
- Actors: Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Bell, Jodie Turner-Smith,
A story derived from the popular Jack Ryan universe of Tom Clancy. John Clark, aka John Terrence Kelly, is a former Navy SEAL who now works as an operations officer for the CIA. He seeks revenge after a Baltimore drug lord kills his girlfriend.